Tagesschulen mit Gastfamilie in Deutschland
|Duration||Start||State schools & host family|
|select a city*||classic**|
|2 months||anytime||4.000 €||3.500 €|
|3 months||anytime||5.250 €||4.500 €|
|4 months||anytime||6.200 €||5.200 €|
|5 months||FEB or AUG||7.150 €||5.900 €|
|11 months||FEB or AUG||12.650 €||9.900 €|
All schools are state schools, at the moment we cooperate with only one private day school in Berlin, with bilingual classes German - English (15.400 € per year): see the profile
- starter weekend in Berlin for those starting in FEB or SEP
- placement at a high school in Germany
- accommodation, full board (single room with host family or boarding)
- supervision and support by a member of GLS staff
- a certificate of attendance, issued by the German high school
- 2 GLS reports per year, 1 per semester
- transfer from the nearest airport or station to accommodation
- letter of invitation for visa application
Additional services for students attending a high school in Berlin:
- free German course (3 afternoon lessons per week) on the GLS campus in Berlin
- 2 free weekend excursions, e.g. to Hamburg, Dresden or Prague
- free Christmas dinner at the GLS restaurant "Die Schule"
Not included are:
- pocket money - ca. Euro 150 - Euro 200 per month
- books and course material, bus or metro tickets to school
- insurance (liability, medical, accident, personal items, cancellation): 10 EUR/week - obligatory
- preparatory German language course (necessary if your German level is below A2: more)
About the Schools: "Gymnasium"
We place international students at Gymnasien. A Gymnasium is a secondary school that leads up to university. The curriculum is rather academic, with two foreign languages plus math and science courses. Ca. 30 % of German students attend this type of secondary school (more about Gymnasien and the school system in Germany)
The final examination is called Abitur and grants access to university studies. Choices of university location and study fields are limited however: Only students with a very good Abitur can study where and what they want. Please note: Exchange students planning to do the Abitur have to attend a private school, the Abitur is not possible for them at state schools.
The school year starts in AUG/SEP, holidays vary a from state to state (usually 2 weeks in autumn, over Christmas and around Easter). School days are MON - FRI, usually 8 am - 1 or 2 pm, which leaves enough time to join local community clubs focusing on sports or the arts in the afternoon or on weekends.
If you book the select program, you can select the city (i.e. Berlin, Bayreuth, Bremen), but not a specific school. To give you an idea what the schools look like, below the websites of 2 schools, that cooperate with GLS:
About the host families
All families have been inspected by GLS. Some families have sons and daughters, who do an exchange program as well: While their kids go to school in Canada, France or Argentina, they are happy to welcome an exchange student going to school in Germany. The families live within easy reach of the school that you attend. They provide a single room and full board. More about host families in the FAQ section.